Millions of Americans have a dental phobia. It’s important to keep in mind that preventative care goes a long way. If you have been putting off much-needed dental work because you are nervous, you are likely a good candidate for sedation dentistry.
Anesthesia can make the difference between a painless procedure and a procedure that feels like a nightmare. As you begin to develop a plan with your physician, you may want to discuss the benefits of anesthesia for your particular procedure. Anesthesia specialties are not always available. SleepGuardian, in Northern Virginia, offers in-office general anesthesia by physician anesthesiologists. There is a big difference between office anesthesia compared to hospital anesthesia services. Weighing your options here is valuable. SleepGuardian specialists are available at 844.904.4742 to discuss how to develop a treatment plan that is right for you.
Lesser-Known Benefits of Anesthesia
Many patients have anxiety associated with standard dental visits. Undergoing a complex procedure can also result in additional anxiety and mental distress. Knowing that you will be sedated with anesthesia and will not feel pain can ease this stress. Who wouldn’t want to sleep through a dental procedure?
Avoid Pain with Dental Sedation
Using sedation and anesthesia allows for a faster procedure. Patients can be finished and in post-procedure recovery without remembering the procedure. Some patients experience psychological trauma as a result of going through a procedure while fully conscious.
Control the Gag Reflex
A strong gag reflex has utility in everyday life. However, it is often not helpful during medical procedures. It can be difficult for some patients to keep their mouths open for an extended period of time. While sedated, your body is relaxed, and the dentist can safely carry out the procedure without worrying about your emotional and physical reactions.
A patient safely sedated using anesthesia will not move around during the procedure. This allows the doctor to work quickly and efficiently. A good private anesthesiologist makes dental and medical procedures easier for everyone.
Benefits of an In-Office Physician Anesthesiologist
At SleepGuardian, our physician anesthesiologists work directly with your doctors during any procedure or surgery. Before conducting our office-based anesthesia procedure, our medical experts work with a team of doctors to best assess all patient’s health and ensure well-being. Keep in mind, a few anesthesia benefits include:
- Anesthesia allows patients to manage anxiety.
- Patients are closely monitored by a team of highly trained experts.
- Longer or multiple procedures can be done quickly and efficiently.
- Patients can keep their mouths open for long periods of time.
- This avoids concerns relating to a strong gag reflex.
Types of Anesthesia for Your Procedure
SleepGuardian of Virginia offers the following types of anesthesia for patients who undergo in-office procedures with our physician anesthesiologists.
- Your anxieties are relieved, but you remain fully conscious and able to respond throughout the procedure.
- Sometimes used with local anesthesia.
- You will likely remember the procedure.
- You will not feel pain.
- A more relaxed state, but you are still conscious and able to respond.
- You will not recall much of your experience.
Deep sedation or general anesthesia (GA)
- You will fall into a deep sleep and be unconscious throughout your procedure.
- You will not remember the procedure when you wake.
- You will not feel any pain.
Contact SleepGuardian About Anesthesia Services
At SleepGuardian, we offer office-based or non-hospital anesthesia services for surgical procedures across a wide range of specialties. Our physician anesthesiologists work with healthcare providers throughout the state to make sure that every procedure is safe, comfortable, and effective. We offer anesthesia services in the following medical specialties:
- Anesthesia for oral surgery
- Anesthesia for ENT procedures
- Anesthesia for gynecological surgery
SleepGuardian physicians are committed to tailoring treatment plans to individuals so that each procedure will have the best possible results. We pay extra attention to safety and your comfort before, during, and after your procedure.